Sunday, October 10, 2010

Welcome!

I started this blog because I used to have a blog for our baby (at almost 14 months I guess he's really more of a toddler now, especially since he likes to run everywhere!) that I don't keep up anymore, but I missed writing about our lives.

I have always been passionate about food and diet. Partly out of necessity (um why can't I be one of those women who can eat complete garbage and be a stick?) and partly out of pure passion for food issues, cooking, recipes, and research.

You probably won't be able to find a diet I haven't researched, tried, or read about or a diet book I haven't read through or owned.

But that all changed at the end of last summer when I could not stay away from books by real doctors, citing real research studies, promoting a lower fat, plant based diet. Yes, that means no animal products. Yes, that brings up the scary term, "vegan". Yes, we are raising our baby on no animal products. Yes, he's perfectly healthy and thriving. It's kind of amazing what the body can do with real food, real fuel, and things we're meant to eat.

Anyway, most recently, after I completed all of the books by doctors (Dr. McDougall, Dr. Furhman, Dr. Barnard, etc.) I went to the source; The China Study. I am not that far into it (um, I have a house to keep, a baby to raise, and a photography business to run!) but I am excited to share my thoughts on it as I go.

Also, you should know that there are few different views on the plant based diet. Each of the above doctors (and more) agree on 99% of the issues, and differ on just a few things. For example, Dr. Furhman (Eat To Live) believes in mostly raw food and little grains. Dr. Barnard (Breaking the Food Seduction) believes in a lot of soy products and pasta over potatoes. Dr. McDougall (who I have been a big fan of for many years and even followed his diet briefly in college) believes in a starch based (no, not doughnuts, but whole grains, etc) diet with a few servings of fruit a day, many veggies, a little beans, and very little soy. As a carb lover, I do best on McDougall's diet because I don't feel deprived at all. You mean I gave up meat, fish, dairy, fat? So what? I can eat POTATOES!!!!

Freedom. It feels like freedom.

So anyway, I will bring you along for our journey as we learn to live this way for our health (more on that), share recipes we love, and share important and helpful articles & links. Oh and you might just get some day to day things about life in general as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment