Monday, October 11, 2010

Recipe : Pumpkin Muffins

This morning I had a play date scheduled at our house for some of the mamas in my "green moms group". I knew I wanted to make something healthy in general, something I could snack on if I really wanted to as a treat, and something kid friendly. That in itself is quite the feat, no make it vegan and I had some searching ahead of me.

I wanted something simple.I have quite a few vegan cookbooks, but I wanted REALLY simple.

I ended up going with this recipe:

Pumpkin Muffins

2 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c sugar (I wanted to substitute this with another form of natural sweetener, but I am just learning about those, been doing either real white sugar or nothing for years, so I just went with it).
1 T baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
15 ounces pumpkin, canned -- 1 can
1/4 c water
1/4 c raisins

Mix all dry ingredients together in a mixer, then add the wet ingredients, then raisins. Put into a muffin pan bake 375 degrees about 25 min.

Makes 12 muffins.


Adapted From:
"Fat Free & Easy Cookbook"


They passed the husband test. They past the mommy play date test. Passed the baby test. And I have to say, they're not too bad at all! The only thing in them that I am not crazy about is the sugar so I plan to find a better option for that.
_9030-copy-3

No comments:

Post a Comment