Sunday, October 10, 2010

Recipe : Lentil & Veggie Stew

This is one of my favorite recipes to make.
It's easy
It's cheap
It makes a ton of leftovers to eat throughout the week on brown rice, a top a baked potato, etc.
Oh, and it's YUMMY!

Lentil and Veggie Stew

Ingredients
1 c chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots peeled and chopped (I always throw in quite a few more since my son really digs the carrots in this and not much anywhere else)
3 parsnips peeled and chopped
6-8 brussels sprouts (tough ends removed, chopped) I do a lot more of these too, like the whole bag
4 fist size potatoes, peeled and chopped (I've used Yukon and red or white sweet potatoes - both great)
1tsp cumin
pinch cayenne pepper
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground ginger (I always omit this)
1/2 tsp allspice (I omit this too since I never have it...I just add a little more of the other spices)
4 cup veggie broth
1 cup green/brown lentils
2 tsp salt
3 bay leaves

1. Heat a little broth over medium heat. Add all chopped veggies and cook for about 5-10 minutes.

2. Add all spices (except salt) and continue cooking, just until fragrant.

3. Reduce heat and add veggie broth, lentils, salt, and bay leaves.

4. cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 45-60 min. Stew is done when lentils are cooked.

5. Serve over brown rice or as is.


adapted from: Eating Clean

No comments:

Post a Comment